Thursday, April 15, 2010

My favorite album right now

Actor, by St. Vincent (aka Annie Clark).


She's like a grown-up Eisley, a band I used to really love. Both the lyrics and the music have same whimsical, ecclectic quality, but her music isn't cutesy, and it has a dissonant edge. It feels like the musical equivalent of Alice in Wonderland (the book, that is) or The Wizard of Oz -- trippy, but in a good way. 

The song "The Neighbors" sounds so similar to songs on Eisley's first album, Room Noises. I never liked Eisley's second album (I don't even remember what it was called), precisely because it distanced itself from the qualities I loved most to begin with. At the time, reviewers loved it and said the band sounded so much more grown up, but I just thought they sounded less unique. 

I've heard they're coming out with a new album soon, which I will certainly listen to, but no matter what it sounds like, I have found a new favorite artist: St. Vincent.



Here's her song "The Strangers." 

1 comment: