Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Books: The cover matters



Gorgeous.



I have seen these clothbound books before, but I didn't know who had designed them until just today (thanks, Robbie!). Her name is Coralie Bickford-Smith, and you can see her website here, which features her many beautiful designs.

The magic of these books is that even though I haven't read Crime and Punishment, and even though it always seemed so intimidating, you can bet I would read it if I had this copy.



I also have a special place in my heart for Gothic horror novels, so I want to collect all of these, in addition to the clothbounds.



All of these books are, I think, limited editions, and some of them are going to be hard to find. And collecting them will set me back a pretty big chunk of money. But I can dream anyway -- dream of collecting gorgeous bookcovers, as well as the novels inside them. I love a good classic, and I am an advocate for judging books by their covers. Art is important, and these books are art both inside and out.

Thank you, Coralie, for making classic books deliciously readable.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous indeed. Thanks for the introduction.

    xo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've admired those books a looooong time. i'd devote my guest room strictly to books if i had ones as pretty as those. who am i kidding... my guest room is already my book sanctuary. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said, Missy. I agree completely. Art is important. It does say something about the story hidden inside. I have seen these covers and admired them. I have purchased one. It was a Dickens novel and I love the beauty of it on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete