Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Sweet Favorite

The other night Andy and I ate at what is probably our favorite restaurant in all of Chattanooga. Maybe favorite of all time.

This might come as a surprise, because the restaurant doesn't stand out in terms of decor or location. The interior is clean but lacking in atmosphere, with a few authentic pieces on the wall but little else.

I love atmosphere and decor in restaurants, but I don't care when it comes to this one. What Andy and I go for (on a regular basis) is the food. The restaurant is Sweet Basil, and the food is fragrant, flavorful Thai, with its coconut curries and hot chilis. As a vegetarian, I can get just about anything on the menu with a tofu substitution. My favorite dish is a sweet, slightly spicy curry with tofu on a bed of spinach.

Andy loves the restaurant because he can get his food "Thai hot." He's never been satisfied with other Thai restaurants that seem to skimp on even the spiciest dishes (I can't tell a difference though - it's all too spicy for me!). Whenever he asks for his dishes "Thai hot," the servers get this huge smile on their faces. They probably don't get that request very often. And even though Andy sweats and cries over his curry, he says it's wonderful, and he keeps coming back for more.

I haven't asked to find out if the servers are all from Thailand, but I would bet that many of them are. They are certainly among the friendliest and attentive servers I have ever met.

Whenever we get a craving for Thai food, that's where we go. If you're a Thai-curry fan, I recommend Sweet Basil highly. I don't have any photos of it because I didn't think to bring my camera. But next time you come to my place, let's go out to Sweet Basil, because I can't seem to make my own homemade Thai taste so good.

But make sure you come on Tuesday, because you can get two entrees and an appetizer for $19.95. Hmmm...today is Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment