Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Chair, aka I'm Probably In Over My Head

I haven't written a blog post since October. Sorry.

There, now that that's over with, I'd like to share my latest project. I have been following the Before & After section of the site Design*Sponge for a while now, and let's just say I've been inspired (because "obsessed" sounds bad).

It's full of fun DIY projects, like refinished furniture and reupholstered chairs and even renovated rooms. People find old stuff and fix it up, and it looks incredible. My fingers have been itching to do something crafty, so here goes. My very first reupholstery project.



I found this chair for $20 on Craigslist. Isn't it cool? Well, not yet it's not. But it will be (hopefully) when (if) I finish it!

I really don't think this will be difficult. I've been Googling "How to reupholster a chair," and I even found video! No problem, right?

Just gotta find some fabric. Don't want something too traditional. It's gotta be modern and a little retro, but not too over the top. When I ran across Mod Green Pod's Bloom fabric, I fell in love. And it's even organic! (Their other fabrics are also pretty rad.)



It's also very expensive, at least for my budget. A couple yards of this stuff will turn this $20 chair into a $100 chair, and if I were going to spend $100, why would I even bother with reupholstering? I could have found something great for way less trouble. So I'm not sure this fabric is worth it, but after seeing it, nothing else measures up.

Anyway, I'm apparently too impatient to wait for fabric, or even proper tools, because I've started tearing the thing apart already. I've learned some things in a very short time, too. Like that this chair was once bright blue, and before that, something yellow-green and very '70s. And that my dog finds its musty smell irresistible.



And that this might get a bit nasty.

1 comment:

  1. I envy your boldness is tackling this project. I simply don't trust myself to like what I'd create. And for this reason, I will probably stick to my perpetual search for inexpensive, original decor at places like Hobby Lobby.

    ReplyDelete