Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A plant story

Remember those pretty plant seedlings from a few months back?

Well here's the tomato.



Home Depot killed my plants. Sort of.

For a while, my plants have had these little bug things crawling in the soil and flying around. I learned from the internet that these were called fungus gnats. I went to Home Depot to find a solution to my problem.

After examining various ominous and deadly pesticide concoctions, she handed me a bottle and said "Let the soil dry out, then spray this on it."

"Thanks!" I said with glee and clutched the poison tight. I was going to rid my plants of these bugs forever.

I didn't wait for the soil to dry out. It was going to take too long, and those bugs were everywhere. So I squirted and sprayed the white pesticide with abandon.

Well, a few hours later, my plants drooped and choked for breath. The spinach died. The tomatoes died. It was a plant massacre. The larger plants, like the cilantro and the zucchini, are slowly suffocating, gasping, and turning yellow. It's too bad, because both of those plants were blooming.



It was then that I picked up the bottle and examined it myself. Nothing on the bottle says it's acceptable for plants. It's the kind of poison you spray directly on spiders and ants and wasps and stuff. And now I can say with certainty that it also kills plants.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Missy! Wow, it's been too long. I'm so happy to hear that things are going well for you with the job and apartment and everything. Things are going pretty well here at Pisgah. I'm actually about to go home this weekend for the first time this summer so that's really exciting. I really haven't blogged in forever. I have time, so I don't know why I haven't. I'll try to be better about that. :)
    Anyway, stay in touch! Thanks for sending me a little update. I'll try to do better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I'm sorry to here about your plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

    P.S. sorry about your vegetables.

    ReplyDelete