Sunday, May 17, 2009

For Freedom and DIY Projects!

While looking for ideas on decorating the apartment, I ran across these pretty pictures on the Pier 1 website:



But they're $30 a piece, and I just can't afford those on my budget, but I still want them, so I spent Saturday afternoon painting my own. (Excuse the wrinkly futon cover/sheet. I plan to hang them as soon as I decide where.)



Does this make me a plagiarist? A cheap-skate? A crafty genius? I'm not really a painter - I just wanted to test myself and see if I could do it, and show up one of my favorite stores by ripping it off.

I'm not sure what to call it, but I have an individualist, self-sufficient, John-Locke-ish-Don't-tell-me-what-I-can-and-cannot-do, do-it-yourself attitude streak. I think I get it from my mom and Grandpa Wallace, who have been known to build/craft/design just about anything in a defiant effort to outwit the system. Mom says I can thank the rebellious Wallace influence.



I'm not really a descendant of Mel Gibson, but his picture looked so much more interesting than the real dude.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if this is direct plagiarism or not. The artist who painted the original was plagiarizing God who made the flower, right?

    I suppose its all a matter of perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reference to John Locke.

    Also, I think you did a great job, plagiarism or not! Great colors! I will have to come see them soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Awesome job. How have things been going? Happy (late) graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish i were as talented as you. i can't paint to save my life. hooray for dyi stuff. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would pay you to paint another set for me. for real. not kidding. at all.

    ReplyDelete