Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It's finally cool to be a veggie

I've spent most of my life as a vegetarian (not counting about two years there when I ate meat).

When I was little, it was weird to be a vegetarian. The kids at school didn't really get it when I refused their offers to share their Lunchables (remember those?)

Not only has vegetarianism finally become cool from a health standpoint, but you can also be a veggie and save the earth! Livestock farming accounts for an awful lot of the gasses and pollution in the world today. There's a new movement called "Meatless Mondays" that encourages everyone to stop eating meat once a week.



Get this: "Scientists estimate that if every American lowered meat consumption by just 20%, it would lower greenhouse gasses as much as if everyone in the country switched to driving Toyota Priuses" (that's from this website right here).

How cool is that? I've been saving the earth all my life and I didn't even know it.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know have you ever had a Steak? Steak is worth all the harmful greenhouse gasses in my opinion. And you can do your part when eating a steak by ordering it more on the rare side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your part for the environment I mean... less heat= less polution.

    And I say all of the above completely tongue in cheek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen Glenn Beck's blip on this? It's a must see. http://vodpod.com/watch/190422-glenn-beck-petas-beef-with-gore

    ReplyDelete