Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday night blues



I'm in an evening class tonight. Every Tuesday night, I attend this class. It has a mouthful of a name: Mass Media Law & Ethics. It's taught by this old guy who likes to spend the two-and-a-half-hour-or-so class going off on tangents. He's not a full-time professor; I think he's an editor of some kind at the newspaper. Whoever he is, he's interminably boring, especially considering that he doesn't actually test us over any of the things we discuss in class. Tests consist of opinion-type essays, so there is no real incentive to pay attention. Needless to say, I spend the majority of the class surfing the internet or doing homework on my laptop. I come to class early so I can get one of the coveted back-row seats, so as to better surf/study. It's boring, it's a waste of my time, and worse still, it's a waste of my money.

Since I'm a senior and I'm graduating in a total of 40 days, I don't really even want to complain. I don't care enough.

But what's worse is that most of the other students in this class are from the current senior class. They all know each other and hang out all the time. They have inside jokes. They love having this class together. And I am not a part of that.

My class graduated a year ago. I got to have those classes with all of us together, where we laughed and talked and loved class. But at that time, I was a junior and they were seniors. Spending a year away from college is, I have come to discover, bittersweet.

So these are my Tuesday night blues. I'm bored and alone, and I can't wait for class to end.

That's not a picture of my dog or anything. I didn't even take it. It just looks sad, so I thought it was appropriate.

2 comments:

  1. I always wished I had a laptop in my 'mandatory attendance' classes. If the classes was similar to yours and I could get away with not attending I would go to the libray or sleep.

    if I had to be there for 'attendance points. I would surround myself with people I knew would talk etc and go to sleep.

    I maybe should have stayed awake and thought of how the teacher might perceive me, but i figured 65% of my peers were on myspace... if the teacher was really concerned she'd have taught from the back of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, dreaded that class, felt it was a waste of...well, everything, and didn't care enough to formally complain. Senioritis took over and said, "just get through it." I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm sorry.

    Incidentally, I love that picture. The fella reminds me of Tipper.

    ReplyDelete