Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Punch

Tuesday night. Another class, another blog.

Last night Andy and I went to see the Punch Brothers in concert. This bluegrass/jazz/classical band was formed by Chris Thile, member of Nickel Creek and widely seen as a prodigy. He's not only skilled at all kinds of instruments, but he's a composer as well, and that was obvious on the latest album, Punch.



Thile wrote an incredible, 40-minute, four-movement piece called "The Blind Leaving the Blind." It's about his recent divorce. Now, divorce is a terrible thing and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I do think that the pain from that divorce led him to write one of the most beautiful, powerful, haunting, emotional pieces of music I have ever heard. It was good on the CD, but they played the whole thing last night, and it was perfect.

And they were really cool and funny, and we got their autographs.



Anyway, Andy and I had a great time. Amazing music and talent. Check them out.

4 comments:

  1. oh shoot...I forgot that was coming up. would've loved to go too. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey those are the people who you sing bluegrass... (Captain Obvious) and you showed us at dinner one night. Speaking of which, you guys need to come over some time ( to lindsey's place) cause I don't have a place to invite you to.

    ReplyDelete