Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fountain of Youth?

So I saw this magazine for the first time the other day (I don't get out much).


Really? A whole magazine devoted to techniques for making us look younger? Nothing is off the table - everything from tanning and wrinkle reduction to boob jobs and botox. 
I find that most ads that market anti-aging or wrinkle reduction feature models who don't struggle with wrinkles anyway because they aren't old enough. They haven't yet had a wrinkle. 



And what's more, most magazines with features on looking good at any age (Look great at 30! 40! 50!) usually just include tips on making older women look as much like 20 as possible.

Now, I don't have any problem with enjoying beauty, makeup and fashion. I enjoy these things myself, and as a 23-year-old, I certainly intend to make the most of the youth I possess. What frustrates me is that in this culture, I have nothing to look forward to. This is as good as it's ever going to get. I have too many friends who buy into this idea. As one of them said to me once, "Live it up. This is the time in our lives when we're as beautiful as we're ever going to be. It's only downhill from here."

No wonder this is an America of readily-prescribed drugs. That attitude could make any woman reach for the Zoloft.

1 comment:

  1. What gets me are the 'CELEBRITY HAIR' magazines.

    ReplyDelete