Tuesday, January 27, 2009

And it tastes good, too

Something about this advertisement seems to scream "Be afraid!" Maybe it's the foreboding music, or the CG germs crawling over everything, getting ready to take over the world and kill your child.




I always knew something didn't seem right. I've railed (quietly) against antibacterial soap for years; you know, the kind that kills 99.9% of germs. What did you think those few, strong .1% are going to do then? Evolve, of course, and become the killer monsters of nightmares and bad Sci-Fi channel movies. It only makes sense.

Now someone agrees with me. This article in the New York Times magazine says dirt is good for babies, and kids who grow up around things like actual air from the outdoors have fewer problems with allergies and such. Babies are supposed to stick things in their mouths. As long as they don't choke.

We've been abusing and oppressing germs for too long, folks. Well, no more! Germs are now good for us, so they say.

I just can't come to grips with the article's claims about intestinal worms.

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes intentionally skip washing my hands, or I leave food out on the counter for a few hours before eating it, I also add a little dirt to my coffee just to give my white blood cells a work out.

    germs are awesome, though I admire the clean space michael jackson had at his neverland ranch... if I had a pet monkey I would want to hang out with it in as sterile an environment as possible.

    ReplyDelete